Finding the right rental home in Annapolis is a big decision. You need to think about everything from your commuting time, to school districts to where you shop and much more. Below we have listed four areas to focus on when choosing a rental home and the questions to ask yourself when conducting your rental home search.
Before you sign a lease, make sure you’ve answered all your questions, because once you sign a lease, it can be difficult and even costly to break it.
BUDGET – When making a budget it is important to consider the following questions.
- How expensive is the rent? How often does rent increase? Does rent include any utilities? If utilities are not included, what do they typically cost for this apartment or house?
- How much security deposit is required? When is it due? When will you get it back? What happens if you need to move out before your lease is complete?
- Do you have to pay for the carpet, blinds or oven to be professionally cleaned when you move out?
POLICIES – Understanding the property management tenant policies helps to prevent misunderstandings, heartache, and additional costs.
- If you decide to keep renting after your lease is up, will you have to commit to another term of six months or a year, or can you rent month to month?
- What day is the rent due? Does the landlord allow a grace period if you pay a day or two late? Are there late charges? Does the property manager require you to buy renter’s insurance?
- Is smoking allowed?
AMENITIES – Determine what you need versus what you want
- Will you have a parking space in the building, in a garage or on the street? Is there a monthly or annual parking fee? If a parking permit is needed, how do you obtain one?
- Is there storage space available?
- Where is the nearest grocery store?
- Is there a pool or garage?
COMFORT – Understanding your comfort zone upfront can shorten the search process
- Do you feel most comfortable renting a single-family home, a townhouse, condo, or an apartment in a high rise with lots of other tenants?
- Will your belongings fit well in the rental?
- Will you need to store, sell or buy furniture to accommodate the space?
You won’t need to ask every question about each place you see, but knowing as much as possible about the location and policies up front can prevent future headaches.
For help with your rental needs contact Annapolis Property Services.